Is Laos worth visiting?

Post Reply New Thread

Is Laos worth visiting?

Rank

Total Posts: 7

Joined 2014-10-23

I’ve just arrived in Ho Chi Minh and I have 19 days until I need to be back in Bangkok for my flight home. I’m torn over whether I should stay with my friend and do Vietnam for about 2 weeks, or if I should just smash through to Hanoi and go to Laos, only giving me around 9 days in each place.

Basically, how different is Laos from the rest of SEA? I would be paying for a flight (to save time over the bus) and visa which is around £100. Would you recomend staying in Vietnam or is Laos a must see destination? What factors should impact my decision?

Thanks!

Rank

Total Posts: 21

Joined 2008-08-24

Laos is definitely worth doing but…......not if you’re leaving yourself only 9 days for Vietnam!

Vietnam is a massive country and you would be traveling nearly every day! IMO I would spend the 2 weeks in Vietnam and do Laos another time. I’ve only been to Vang Vieng Luang Prabang and Vientiane so others may have a different opinion but i thought Laos is a little more ‘untouched’ than the rest of SE asia, which is nice.

Laos is a bit cheaper than Nam but if you’re going to fly and the visa cost it probably won’t make much difference.

p.s When you get to Hanoi stay at Hanoi Backpackers on Ma may..its awesome!

RankRankRankRankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 1078

Joined 2004-05-30

Personally I preferred Laos to Vietnam but I seem to have had a very different Vietnam experience to most others as I really didn’t think that much of it.

Laos I thought was beautiful. I spent a couple of days on the Mekong, then stopped off in Luang Prabang before heading to Phonsavan. A lot of people skip this but it’s so worth it for the very unique Plain of Jars.

Vang Vieng tends to divide opinion between those who absolutely love it and those who think it’s been ruined by too many drunken/stoned tourists. My final stop was Vientiane which is one of the most chilled out capitals you will find in SE Asia. Every night I had dinner at a market on the banks of the Mekong whilst watching the sunset with the locals - it was amazing.

I didn’t make it to the southern part of Laos but I’ve heard that it’s even more beautiful, especially 5000 islands.

Rank

Total Posts: 30

Joined 2015-05-19

Definately, one of my favourite nations of south east asia, the north is especially breathtakingcheese

RankRankRank

Total Posts: 118

Joined 2007-02-25

You HAVE to go to Laos!! Completely underated country. Luang Prabang is beautiful and charming, and tubing in Vang Vieng is the biggest party you’ll ever go to. DO IT.

RankRankRank

Total Posts: 138

Joined 2013-01-05

I’m guessing you;ve already made your decision one way or the other, but agree with Rusty.

I loved Laos and would highly recommend it, but it’s better to spend the time in Vietnam rather than rush around to squeeze two countries in.

We had 18 days in Vietnam and it was definitely one of my favourite countries, this still felt rushed and would happily go back.

Laos was definitely more chilled and less travelled/ruined than a lot of SEA. Luang Prabang, Vang Vieng (personally loved it but can see why others dont) and Don Det were my highlights.

Good times!