Overweight backpackers??

Post Reply New Thread

Overweight backpackers??

deleted-user

Has anyone ever met any overweight backpackers on their travels, or been overweight themselves whilst travelling?

I have lost 3 stone but will still be about 4 stone too heavy when I start my solo rtw trip :oops: .  I just wondered if anyone else had been in the same boat?

I make friends easily at home, but I’m worried that while I’m on the road no-one will want to talk to the ‘fat girl’, and that I’ll be left out of a lot of activities because of my size.

Anyone any thoughts??

Thanks xx

deleted-user

Hey

Really don’t think you’ve got anything to worry about!

Well done on losing all that weight though - thats great!

People don’t judge so much on appearance out on the road and it will be about YOU rather than what you look like.  If you make friends easily at home then I reckon you’ll be just fine!  Let your personality shine through and most importantly, don’t worry about what others may or may not be thinking.  Backpackers come in all shapes and sizes and no one is judged on their weight. 

Good luck on your travels.

Ang x

deleted-user

Thanks ang. 

I hadn’t really been worried about it until recently, but I was looking on the LP thorn tree and all these people were moaning about overweight people taking up too much room on planes etc. 

I don’t think I’m big enough to take up that much room but it did get me thinking, what if no-one wants to sit next to me on buses etc…

I guess I’m being a little paranoid/sensitive…

Thanks for the reassurance hon.

xx

RankRankRankRankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 3007

Joined 2004-05-30

People are far too image conscious in the west, but on the road everyone is far more accepting and just happy to see a friendly face.  Walking up to strangers in the UK is unusual, while travelling it’s the norm.  I am tall, broad and fat; I most definitely stand out in a crowd of Asians or westerners, but that just means no one forgets me.  In India size is a sign of status and shop keepers would turn to me not my friends even though they were the ones interested in buying.  I did occasionally feel a bit rude taking up more room in the back of a Sawgthiaw in Asia than the locals, but then most westerners take up more room than an Asian and the locals really don’t seem to mind. 

As for airline seats, I’d never been on a flight ‘til I was 22 and when I did, I wondered what all the fuss was about the small seats.  If you spend your life driving your ‘Chelsea Tractor’ round and never set foot on a bus or train then having to share any form of transport must come as a bit of a shock.  For us poorer, more enviromentally friendly folk, who spend rush hour crammed in a bus or train, an airline seat is the lap of luxury.  And remember you have a seat number and many hours to sit in it, so don’t bother pushing and shoving at the departure gate; it won’t go without you.

Be confident, be friendly, enjoy yourself and go and meet loads of people.  If people won’t accept you for who you are, they’re not worth knowing.

Enjoy,

Marv.

Rank

Total Posts: 44

Joined 2006-07-14

I’ll second Marv’s comments. If people pre-judge you due to your size/colour/whatever, then they ain’t worth knowing in the first place.

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 281

Joined 2006-07-14

I think ul be totally fine but if anyone did judge you on your appearance instead of your personality then they are not worth your time anyway as they are just shallow!
Good luck on your travels and hope u make many friends, let me no how it gos cuz im of RTW solo styly on 2007 and am a bit scared myself!!

Total Posts: 1761

Joined 2005-11-30

Just like in any other group there are a mix of shapes, sizes and colours amongst travellers so if you are worried you will be the only one who has a few extra pounds then I wouldnt bother. Also as you make friends easily at home then see no reason why itd be any different on the road smile

Iv found that the LP thorn tree can be a bit brutal and often seems to degenerate into a load of people shouting/complaining about stuff-it should be a good site but sometimes doesnt seem to work out that way. Id second marv in his comments that people seem to complain needlessly about the size of plane seats-maybe if you were sat next to someone who was 50stone overweight itd be an issue but not cause your carrying a bit of extra weight.

Dont worry about it and enjoy your trip!

Jenny

RankRankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 590

Joined 2004-08-30

I’ll back up all the others - the whole image conscious western ideals don’t really seem to matter so much on the road. I think partly because everyone developes some version of hippy “lets all love each other” ideals… but also partly because you identify with people due to their being travellers too, rather than because of their looks/clothes etc which may happen in the UK.

I’m in the same boat if it makes you feel better. Hoping to loose some weight before I go, from a practical point of view, but in previous travel I’ve not found that it makes any difference (though skinny girls seem to be able to pack several evening outfits in the space that I dedicate to an extra pair of knickers….).

Also, LP TT isn’t my favourite travel board, there’s an awful lot of harsh people on there. I think the overweight person on a plane thing only really applies if they’re REALLY overweight.

deleted-user

Guys, thanks so much for all your comments, I feel loads better now and I agree about the LP website, this one has much nicer people on it :D

Now all I need to do is start walking loads before I go so I don’t get left behind too much on any treks (I am notorious for being a dawdler)!

Happy travels

xx

Total Posts: 3007

Joined 2004-05-30

Damn it, I spoke too soon.  On my Virgin Atlantic flight on Sunday I had one of those heater (or something) boxes bolted to the floor under the seat in front which meant my left leg couldn’t sit in a normal position.  Still at least there weren’t any sacks of rice, half a doze chickens, the entire contents of someones house, and a huge box full of shoes in front of me like on some of the Asian buses I’ve travelled on.  And the choose your own entertainment console was brilliant, along with the Full(ish) English breakfast at 5pm local time; yummy.

RankRankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 590

Joined 2004-08-30

God, those boxes are awful - worst thing about flying Virgin. For those fortunate persons who are oblivious - under the seat in front of you is a box, which basically takes up all the room under that seat, therefore not allowing you to stretch your legs at all.

Apparently they contain the entertainment system. Yes, in the age of ipod nanos and laptop computers, Virgin require every other seat to have a box measuring around 12” x 6” x 8” in order to run the various things in your seat back.

Admittedly, the amount of time spent flying during a gap year is actually so negligible as to not really matter, but still.

deleted-user

The joys of technology!  I think that will be the one time Ill be glad of only having short legs lol.

Hope you had a good flight apart from that, where are you off to now?

Have fun :D

deleted-user

Just as an aside since the thread seems to have moved on - kudos on losing the 3 stone, pink_sparkles. I have been trying to lose weight for the past couple of years but am lacking in the whole will power thing to bring it into effect rolleyes...

So if I could do that I’d be happy as Larry. If Larry had lost 3 stone. Anyway, I bow down to you and your superior motivation smile

deleted-user

Don’t worry, love smile I am 6’4 and 18 stone. I am just walking a lot each day before trip and the amount of walking, swimming, etc you’ll get through on your trip will most likely make you lose a lot of weight. What matters is who you inside and what you’re all about.

deleted-user

hey,
congratulations on the weight loss! not an easy thing to do :D
And I agree with everyone else, its only a problem in this country.
I used to be a big girl myself and never had a problem (if anything i seemed to get more respect than some girls smaller than me, specially if you go to south africa)

and as for no one wanting to sit next to you on transport? never happen, and if it does then enjoy having that extra space to yourself hehe

lannii x

Avatar for Sean---i-love-iceland
RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 243

Joined 2006-10-31

ok im an average built lad but from my travels, images of people are completely different from the image-conscious west.

In poorer or shall we say non-white countries to be blunt, being ‘big’ is a sign of wealth and you will actually gain respect, as this means you are well fed as most poor people in countries with drought and poverty are thin and frail

This may sound weird but its true

I went to tanzania when i was 16 and one of the girls was slightly big, bout 2 stone overweight, but the boys loved her, as did the little children. The same occurred in India, where one of us was loved by the people for being big and loving.

This is only from my experiences but other school trips to Kenya from my school have said the same!