Backpack size

Post Reply New Thread

Backpack size

deleted-user

I’m a 5’5 female who is going travelling next year for about 9months. i am thinking of getting an 80L backpack so that i have plenty of spare room for my stuff and any things i buy etc. do you think that this is a good size? will i get fed up of the size/weight? also can you recommend any, i have been looking at some very reasonably priced north face ones. cheers!

RankRankRankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 969

Joined 2006-07-14

Heya Charlie.

Yep Gotta say that it is a bit of a poser! I am off on my adventures in march for 6 months and it has taken me bleedin ages to decide what size to go for.

I think father christmas is bringing me my pack and I have asked him to bring me a 65-70 litre pack with a 10-15 litre day pack attatched.

I would reccommend you think about getting one of these sort of thingymebobs, you know the big packs that have zipon-zip off day packs. Have heard that they are very practical.

Also great to buy a pack that has a feature on the back that allows you to safely stow away your straps when on a plane etc- that way the handles won’t get busted.

I reckon that for a gal of your statue- a 65 +15 daypack will be more than ample- just have to be selective in what you pack-mmmm how many pairs of shoes then!!!!

Hope that helps you out

Dan :D

deleted-user

I’m the same size and have a 70l, and its huge when it’s full! I can’t get through doorways sometimes, which is never a good look. Generally I pack it about just over half full when i leave, and then fill it up with souvenirs on the way home.

RankRankRank

Total Posts: 109

Joined 2005-09-29

5"5, you should go for 60 ltr. what on earth are you guys taking in a 80 ltr backpack. most travellers spend time in hot countries too meaning you need less clothes. i really dont see the point of carrying 5 pairs of trousers and 16 tshrts when you can only wear one at a time.

would u rather have loads of clothes, which you can buy when you travelling rem! and prob cheaper, and sweat like a bitch and not being able to wear your bag.

or carrying less, having a nice little comfy bag which doesnt look like a tree on your back

deleted-user

If you wanna spend your time travelling with a really bad back then bring a 80l, or you could be sensible and bring around about a 65l. you will find that size fine and you will be a lot more comfy!!

deleted-user

well thanks guys!  i’ll keep up the search and i’ll hopefully find my perfect rucker soon!

deleted-user

oh, just another quickie…is it best to get one thats designed for women, or are they all pretty similar?

deleted-user

Depends a lot on your build. The best thing to do is go down to the shop and try on a few different makes and styles, throw a few things like a sleeping bag and a tent in there to get an idea of how it will feel when packed. It just depends what you find more comfortable. One of my male friends got a girls’ pack cos he is well skinny and the boys’ one didn’t tighten up small enough!

deleted-user

Right, i have narrowed it down to 2 rucksacks. either karrimor panther or karriomor global.  Only prob is the price, i can get a panther for 55 and a global for 120. Is it worth spending that extra money? the global does seem really good and it would be really handy with the way its designed for planes and also just getting to my stuff etc. Anyway, if anyone has either of these then let me know as i am completely undecided!

cheers
charlotte

deleted-user

[quote=“ollie20”]5"5, you should go for 60 ltr. what on earth are you guys taking in a 80 ltr backpack. most travellers spend time in hot countries too meaning you need less clothes. i really dont see the point of carrying 5 pairs of trousers and 16 tshrts when you can only wear one at a time.

would u rather have loads of clothes, which you can buy when you travelling rem! and prob cheaper, and sweat like a bitch and not being able to wear your bag.

or carrying less, having a nice little comfy bag which doesnt look like a tree on your back

gotta agree with this, theres alot to be said about traveling light. Do some research on the subject.

1st mistake of the 1st timer is to take too much stuff and a huge pack.

I might use a 80L pack if I was out in the middle of no where camping and needed loads of camping equipment.

But for staying in hostels and in cities, you can live without stuff.

I’m taking a 35L+8L Berghaus rucksack for 12months. It will be big enough for me. I’m traveling in summer so I want to travel as light as possible. With a smaller pack you can look after it easily, hop on and off buses and trains easily…I don’t fancy lugging an 80L pack around town when its 80-90 degrees.

Some people on the other hand like taking bigger packs, I guess it depends what suits you!

deleted-user

Just bought a Blacks 65 litre for me (5’11” bloke) and my wife went for the 55 litre female model (shes 5’4”wink.  As has been said its all down to shape and fit (and price to a certain degree) the 70-80 litre bags seemed huge, even my 65 is not that small - hoping to not fill it completly.  Both of them were around the £65 mark.

cheers
Guy

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 365

Joined 2006-08-30

im 5’6 and i went to millets the other day and got a 70 ltr eurohike backpack for £36 including student discount (10%) but other wise it was just under £45 also if you know anyone who works in a millets get them to buy it coz they get 30%discount! not bad!
im going for 7months
sarah

deleted-user

Hi all,

I’ve just bought a 55L travel pack, after getting it home and having a proper look it really doesn’t seem that big. I too am 5’5, could I get away with a bigger one or am I being a total girl thinking I’ll need to pack everything except the kitchen sink!!!???

deleted-user

yeah you should be fine. I’m 5’ 5’’ well just under and I’ve got a 70l one. The guy in millets said you should be able to carry 1/3 of your body weight which in my case is just under 20kg which is all you’re allowed on the plane. packing sensibly (straigtener’s don’t weigh that much!)I’d never be able to fit that much stuff in there anyway!

RankRankRankRankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 1761

Joined 2005-11-30

Id go as small as possible. The point of having a backpack is that its easy to carry around so useless if you are struggling and the classic mistake of first time travellers is taking way too much stuff.

Im sure that you can carry a third of your body weight but its not going to be much fun when getting on/off buses, running around trying to get somewhere to stay etc I had a 35l with 8l expansion for my trip and its the best decision Iv ever made

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 330

Joined 2006-11-08

I had a 55lt with a 10 lt day sack that you could zip off. I’m glad i didnt go any bigger cos when your walking around in the scorching sun for an hour trying to find somewhere to stay, 55lt seemed huge. And the bigger the bag the more rubbish you pack.
I think the best packs are those that are not top loading, so the ones that have a zip that you can open right up and bottom access (came in very handy when my bf locked himself out of his bag!). Otherwise you just have to keep taking everything out of your bag to get to whats at the bottom. Also having a daypack was very handy but i never ever zipped it onto my backpack cos then it was so heavy it pulled me backwards, killed my back and i looked like an idiot. The most comfy thing to do is to wear you daypack on your front to even the weight out a bit (granted you still look like a plonker).
Also depends on where you are going. In oz or nz you could easily get away with a suitcase.