Visas for Spain

Countries  »  Spain  »  Visas

Beat Border Control

If you're not sure what visa you need for your gap year in Spain, we've got a quick guide to help you out before you travel. 

Requirements for Entry to Spain

Spain is a member of the Schengen Agreement. This brings together 26 European countries that have eliminated passport and immigration controls at their joint borders. So any citizen of one of these 26 countries can travel freely through the area. 

Nationals of EU snd EFTA (Iceland, Switzerland, Norway, and Lichenstein) countries only need bring a valid passport or national identity card - no visa will be required for a stay in Spain of any length. This includes the UK.

Nationals of non-EU/EFTA countries will generally need a passport in order to enter a Schengen country, and most will need to get a Schengen visa before they travel.

US Citizens

Citizens of the United States of America can enter Schengen countries without acquiring a visa, as long as they hold a valid US passport and do not stay longer than 90 days within a single 6 month period.

Wherever you're travelling, you should always have your passport or ID card with you at all times.