Gain experience in a private dental practice where you’ll help take care of the patients, work with the dental hygienist and help with dental counselling. You’ll be exposed to Orthodontic, Endodontic, Periodontics, Oral surgery, implantology and lots more.
This internship is an excellent way to observe experts in your field and learn how they work in India. And you’ll get a wonderful sense of achievement from helping these great children. This will be an excellent entry on your CV or Résumé as well as being invaluable to you in the future.
Our dentistry work experience placement is based in the delightful and bustling city of Madurai in the southern state of Tamil Nadu. The owner of the dental practice trained in England and he has achieved many awards for services to dentistry. They even have their own brand of toothpaste!
The dentist and his staff are dedicated to serving the public and in particular helping the poor and needy. The practice has made many achievements with serving the local community. They completed a two year plan to serve all the government schools within Madurai, over 25,000 students were treated during this period on the importance of oral hygiene and teaching them preventative measures! They have a strong desire to educate and provide charity work and they have also visited private schools within Madurai.
The areas that the dental practice specialises in are:
- Orthodontics & Dentofacial Orthopaedics
- Endodontics & Conservative Dentistry
- Oral & Maillofacial Surgery
- Cosmetic Dentistry
- You’ll take care of the patients, work with the dental hygienist and help with counselling.
Working hours are usually subject to a shift rota. The clinic is open in the mornings until lunchtime and then from 5pm – 8pm Monday to Fridays only. You will have the afternoon off to rest or explore the city!
All of the staff here are very friendly and helpful and they will make you feel extremely welcome. “The dental practice includes a small family of the most friendly and giving people I have ever met. They will do anything for you and treat you as one of the family. The doctor is so generous in his teaching that I have learnt so much more than just Dentistry. The doctor doesn’t just treat the teeth, but the person as a whole, inside and out. The smile on the patient’s face at the end of the treatment says it all.” Hannah Fullerton
ACCOMMODATION AND FOOD:
For a complete Indian experience we arrange for you to stay with one of wonderful host families. Not only will you be made to feel part of the family, you’ll also gain a great insight into Indian culture and customs. Many of our volunteers remain friends with their host family long after they leave India and in some cases they return to the country later especially to visit their family.
You may share a room with up to 2 other volunteers and in most of the houses you’ll have an en-suite, Western-style bathroom. Breakfast and dinner will be provided and prepared for you by the family and is mainly local fare allowing you to taste a varied selection of delicious south Indian dishes and exotic fruits. You will need to make provision for your own lunch.
Wi-Fi / Internet: There are no internet facilities in the host family accommodation, but less than 1 minute walk away there is an internet café and costs less than £1 an hour.
WHAT YOU’LL GAIN FROM DOING THIS PROJECT
- An exciting opportunity to travel, see the world and experience this amazing culture first-hand!
- New skills, more confidence and invaluable personal and professional development.
- An opportunity to take a break from the traditional academic track or your current career path in order to gain life experience and global cultural awareness
- An entry on your CV or Résumé that will enhance your career opportunities and make you stand out from the crowd.
- Make friends, form relationships and build memories that will last a lifetime.
- Opportunities to enjoy some exciting adventure and cultural activities while on your programme.
- And best of all … an unforgettable experience!