Intern Abroad HQ offer flexible and affordable internships in Greece! The Terrestrial Conservation internship is available year-round and has a minimum duration requirement of 4 weeks and is suitable for undergraduates / graduates of study related to environmental sciences, biology, ecology, chemistry etc.
Interns gain the unique opportunity to study species that are endemic to Samos Island, such as the Mediterranean Chameleon and the Golden Jackal. Research also focuses on monitoring bird populations in wetlands and other important habitats, as the region is a key migratory route for a large number of protected and rare bird species. Internship activities may include scope to take part in the following:
- Study of nesting behavior using camera traps.
- Caring for injured birds before releasing them back into the wild.
- Surveys determining chameleon population size and distribution, involving mark-recapture techniques and morphometrical analysis.
- Surveys assessing chameleon seasonal variation of habitats and vegetation type preference.
- Locating and identifying ancient trees across islands of the eastern Aegean; measurement of trunks and collection of bark samples.
- Creating a GIS map pinpointing the locations of ancient trees and enforcing their legal protection.
- Collection, classification and analysis of local seed varieties preserved in the Aegean Seed Bank.
- Research into traditional agricultural farming techniques practiced by local communities on the Aegean islands; experimental application of these practices as well as organic farming techniques.
- Nighttime acoustic surveys monitoring territorial groups of golden jackals.
- Behavioral surveys using camera traps and necropsies of dead individuals.
Find out more information on our website, it’s free and non-obligatory to apply, but it helps us to provide further guidance and provide instructions on how you may confirm your internship experience abroad.
Have a look at testaments from those those that have already been there and done it:
“My experience with Intern Abroad HQ was nothing less than amazing. It was an eye opening and life-changing experience for me. Of course, there were some difficult times while I was there (such as communication and transportation because they are much different than what I am used to from back home); however, if you aren’t a little uncomfortable while traveling in another country and immersing yourself in another culture then you wouldn’t be doing it right! It can be scary and overwhelming but what you learn and who you meet in the end is so worth it! I highly suggest working with Intern Abroad HQ and gaining the knowledge and amazing experiences in another culture!” – Kayla Myott
“The whole experience became something that I will always keep in my heart, it was just an amazing opportunity that I will never forget. The internship was a great experience for me to try different specialties in a short-term period, which helps me to pre-select what would give me joy to work on in the future. I feel more confident, I feel more skilled, and have acquired knowledge that I know I can use in future.” – Ana Pereira
“Intern Abroad HQ allowed me to combine my program work with their experiential learning program. The guidance provided through the Intern Abroad HQ program provided fresh structure and insight and the reflections on things like culture, communication, problem-solving and expectations really helped with my adjustment period and ability to think outside the box. I’d definitely recommend this approach to anyone else looking to intern abroad!” – Samuel John