ConversaSpain cooperates with more than 150 public schools in Spain. It offers paid yearlong positions in Madrid to potential English language assistants from all over the world who are looking for opportunities to teach English in Spain. The relation with the schools and the placements are fully managed by the local government.
– Deadline: July 4th
– Program length: November 5th to June 28th
The program includes a monthly stipend, initial training, and a meeting with other participants; and international health insurance (depending on the region). ConversaSpain provides participants with pre-departure assistance (visa application, bank account, and welcome package), advice on everyday practical matters, and emergency support. Optional TEFL certification while in Spain and/or Spanish language and immersion week available.
Speaking Spanish is not a requirement to take part in the program. However, participants are required to be from a country whose official language is English. There is no age limit, but a university degree in any subject is required. The conditions are:
-16 teaching hours per week
-€1,000 monthly stipend
-Health insurance (only EU citizens)
-Mostly rural and pueblo locations, but also in the city area
“I would recommend the experience with ConversaSpain as it was great to have a guaranteed placement and the support before coming to Spain was very helpful. I chose the immersion week option and was very happy. It gave me a good introduction to some of the main sites of Madrid, but more importantly allowed me to meet some other people in our program who I have remained friends with in my time here”, Grant H., participant in Madrid.
– Monthly stipend: €1,000
– 16 teaching hours per week, 4 consecutive teaching days
– Paid school holidays (except for the summer period)
– Job placement ensured
– Welcome document and pre-departure assistance (visa process and bank account)
– Help with the police registration process
– Health insurance (EU citizens living in Europe)
– Orientation in Madrid: initial training and meeting with other participants
– ConversaSpain emergency support while in Spain
– Certificate of completion at the end of the program (Regional Education Authority)
– Activities held under the supervision and guidance of school teachers
– Acces to a multimedia platform with lessons, resources, and information
FEES AND AVAILABLE OPTIONS
- Basic: €1,050
- Basic + TEFL certification: €1,550
The Role of a Language and Cultural Ambassador in Spain
Participants could deliver conversational English lessons to students or staff, encourage oral practice in English, explain the culture of their own country, help in other subjects (such as science, art, P.E., history, or music), assist with pronunciation and grammar, prepare students for oral exams, and collaborate with teaching staff in creating teaching materials and planning lessons. The specific activities and tasks depend on the school.
Language Assistants in Public Schools help teach English to Elementary, Middle and High School students. This is a supportive role, thus they aren’t in charge of entire classes and aren’t responsible for grading or discipline.