We are sailing…

We got up this morning and headed out to Monkey Mia. We wanted to get there early and see what else there was to do in case we wanted to come back another day. When we got there we were charged an entry fee but told that this covers us for two days. We put the permit on the dashboard and headed into the resort. There was a small office area with a displays section on the other side that gave you information about dugongs and dolphins but we bypassed this and headed out onto the beach. After a short stroll we decided that we would go to the restaurant and grab some brunch plus we also had a perfect view of the jetty where we had to board for the cruse (both of our phones had died and we didn’t have the time). Emma ordered some potato wedges and Joe ordered a burger that had bacon and a fried egg. The food took a long time to come out but when it did we were both amazed at the size of them! The wedges were massive with two dips and looked like they could feed about three people and Joes burger was huge with about four rashers of bacon, a massive egg and chips. Emma got beaten by the wedges and Joe helped out with a few but some still remained and we noticed that other people were boarding the boat and decided to head off.
When we got to the boat we were asked to put our thongs (flip-flops) in a bucket as they said that they were a slip hazard on the deck. We boarded and sat at the back to listen to the safety briefing. The deck hand pointed out the toilets and rubbish bin he said that the life jackets were at the back of the boat and would show us how to put these on while the boat was sinking. He was joking and said that the boat could fill with water and still would not sink. Then the deck hand asked for three male volunteers Emma straight away put Joe forward before we had even found out what we were being volunteered for! He wanted us to hoist up the main sail and we had to pull the rope as hard as possible until he told us to stop. Emma said that Joe looked very manly while doing this and that he had the little grin he gets when he’s proud of himself! We were welcome to go anywhere on the boat and Emma went straight over to the netting that was up between the hull and climbed on, the netting was suspended over the water letting you look down into it. The boat pulled away from the jetty and we were off on our cruise. To start off with there wasn’t too much to see the skipper pointed out a turtle but it was about 6 meters deep in the water so all you could see was a darker patch of water moving around.
As we started to head out to deeper ocean the deck hand pointed out dolphins in the distance. We went towards them to get a closer look. Out of around 2000 dolphins in shark bay 900 of them have been named. As we got closer the skipper identified this group as Gerchen’s group. They identify the dolphins by their fins, all of them have some sort of identification marks, caused by other dolphins, shark attacks and even by man made things like boat propellers and fishing line. He said that this was a group of females and that recently scientists have noticed that dolphins tend to hang around in same sex groups rather than previously thought family groups. The dolphins hung around the boat for about 10 minuets and were swimming under the hull and along in front of the boat and then all of a sudden they swam off and disappeared.
We sat and spoke to the captain about the various animals that were about (Joe mainly asking about sharks) and he said that most of the animals were further up and round the bay as the temperature of the water is low at the moment. We then asked him about the dolphin feeding that they do on the beach at monkey Mia, he said that it normally happened at around 8am and that they get fed three times. He also said that if you get picked out of the hundred or so people then you should be classed as the chosen one’s. The cruise lasted around three hours and when we docked the captain told us that if we were going on the sunset cruise then we had around 20 minutes and then we had to be back at the jetty. We rushed off to put some warmer clothes on as we were already feeling a bit chilly on the way back and then headed back to the jetty.
The sunset cruise was brilliant mainly because the sky was scattered with clouds that lit up as the sun hit them and turned from orange to pink and purple. We took a lot of photos and relaxed at the back of the boat watching the sun go down. This cruise was shorter only around an hour and a half and when the sun had gone down the boat docked and we all disembarked. We planned on coming back the next morning to feed the dolphins so we went straight back to the camp site, stopping to pick up a pizza on the way home. After our previous experience with sizes of pizza’s we thought we were getting a good deal when we ordered a family size as we’d seen the box. When we got back to the camp the pizza was tiny, hardly filling the box at all. We did feel a bit cheated but as we’d only paid $5 for it we didn’t go back to moan. We sat at the back of Bentley, on our borrowed chairs and ate the pizza. We didn’t stay up long as we needed to be up extra early tomorrow so that we could shower and leave for Monkey mia.

Whether you’re a newbie traveller looking for help or a backpacking veteran with words of wisdom to share, our community is waiting for you.

Join the Community
[contact-form-7 id="4" title="Contact form 1"]