The Currumbin wildlife sanctuary

Joe found out why he has been having trouble sleeping for the past two evenings. He had been taking the wrong medication so instead of taking his sleeping tablet he was taking the one he is meant to take in the morning to keep him awake. He was awake the whole night and when he realised what he had done sat at the foot of the bed reading his book so as not to wake up Emma. As a result he was ready to leave for the Currumbin wildlife sanctuary when Emma woke up.
When Emma was ready Karl drove us down to the wildlife sanctuary and we arrived just as they were opening. Emma managed somehow to jump the whole queue and we were one of the first in. As you walked into the sanctuary there was a lorikeet feeding area where you were given a plate and a keeper came round poring milk into it. Joe had to stand around for a while before the lorakeets swarmed on him, they were on his head and arms with a lot on the plate as well. After all of the milk in the plate had gone we carried on walking towards the main animal enclosures, there was a train that you could take round the park but we decided to walk. As the train passed us we had about 60 Chinese people all waving at us, some of them were really not dressed as if they were going to the zoo (we even saw a guy in a business suite with a briefcase!). The next area was full of Koala bears and for $17 you could have your picture taken with one so we queued up and had our picture taken with it. It looked really cute. Joe really wanted to go the didgeridoo show to see if he could get some tips but that wasn’t for another 45 minutes so we had a walk around. We tried to see the Tasmanian devil but as they are nocturnal we thought that they must be tucked up in a log or something. We then took a walk up a steep hill and thought that if we had of brought Emma’s Nan and Granddad that it would have been very hard on them, joking that if we had of got a wheelchair for her Granddad then this hill would have been interesting. At the top of the hill was a little owl (pretty disappointing for the effort) but just round the corner was the biggest Croc we have seen in Aus. It was a huge salty and looked like it was about 6 meters and was really fat. In the enclosure next to this was some freshwater crocs we stared at them for a long time as they didn’t look real sitting motionless, but one moved and we realised that they were alive.
We then walked into the kangaroo and emus area, there was a vending machine that dispensed food to feed them but it was out of service so the keeper was just giving out free grain (saving us $3). We bent down and fed the kangaroos and stroked them for awhile before checking the time and realising that we had to get back for the didgeridoo show. We went across the park and found the area where an abbo was doing a demonstration. He started off by explaining how the didgeridoo came about…apparently it all started when an abbo chased a lizard trying to eat it, he chased the lizard into a tree and realised that it was hollow. The lizard had gone into a hollow branch so the abbo climbed the tree and chopped the branch down. But the lizard wasn’t coming out so he submerged the branch in water, trying to drown it out. What he didn’t realised was that lizards can hold their breaths for a very long period of time. He then decided to blow into the branch, this is when he heard the first sound of a brand new instrument. By this time the lizard had already shot out and disappeared into the bush.
He continued on to show us how to play the didge, calling people up from the audience to have a go. He explained that in aboriginal culture they have men’s law and women’s law and because a man found the didge it fell under men’s law. This means that abbo women are not allowed to play the didge but this only applies to abbo women and not all women (although no woman is allowed to play the didge in front of an abbo man). Joe got called up and he was the best one up there! The guy even said that Joe would be after his job! Then he got the volunteers to do this exercise where you put water in your mouth and then try and blow it out whilst breathing in through your nose. Joe said he felt a bit weird blowing water out of his mouth in front of a whole crowd of people. After the demonstration we waited around so that Joe could have a chat with the guy. The guy explained to Joe different ways to practice circular breathing and Joe walked away quite happy.
We wandered over to have a look at the bush tucker stuff and then went on to see the wombats. We were both shocked at the size of a wombat. We thought it was going to be a rat like creature but when we saw it it was more like a small pig with a mouse face. We wandered around for a while and then went to catch the Snakes alive show. This wasn’t just about snakes as they had dingoes and possums on the show too. After they’d finished you could go up and stroke the possum or hold the snake. Emma went up and stroked the possum as we’d already done plenty of snake holding. We walked around for a while longer and went to have a look at the Cassowary, known as the most dangerous bird in the worlds. It was big, like an emu but it had a rainbow head, really brightly coloured. After this we got an ice cream at the café and texted Karl to come and pick us up. We waited for about 40 minutes but still we’d heard nothing so in the end we jumped on a bus. When we got back to the apartment nobody was there. Joe went straight off to bed as he’s stay awake tablets had worn off. When Emma’s family got back Karl hadn’t got the text so we were glad that we did get the bus in the end. Soon after Emma went to bed for a nap too and we didn’t get up until around 5 when Rob and Karl were doing dinner, we had cold meat and salad.
We stayed awake for until 11 when Rob and Karl were ready to go to bed (they are sleeping in the living room) and then we went to bed too.

Whether you’re a newbie traveller looking for help or a backpacking veteran with words of wisdom to share, our community is waiting for you.

Join the Community
[contact-form-7 id="4" title="Contact form 1"]