Albania voted ‘top value destination’ for 2012
For those of you looking for a cheap holiday or gap year for 2012 then look no further than Albania.
Frommer’s, the travel guidebook, have unveiled their awards and destinations for 2012 and the Albanian Riviera scooped the award for ‘top value destination’.
The Albanian Riviera is a section of coastline running along the south of Albania, described by Frommer’s as: “Unsung, undeveloped and eminently affordable, the Albanian Riviera has all the natural attractions of its Croatian counterpart further north but without the crowds and considerable expense. Here you have white-sand beaches, crystal-clear waters, and Mediterranean villages barely changed since long before King Zog.”
Backpacking Albania is a popular option for InterRailing but it seems as if it’s going to be popular for short gaps and gap years in 2012. One of the most popular things to do in Albania is to walk around southern city of Butrint, a UNESCO world heritage site, and home to some of the best preserved ancient ruins.
Other noticeable winners were Utah (USA) winning the ‘top adventure destination’ and Turkey winning the ‘readers favourite’.
The list, which is compiled by Frommer’s travel writers and editors, features destinations across the world which are said to be the next big things for travellers in 2012.
On the list is a little something for everyone: large metropolises, secluded beach towns, colourful riverside villas, and more.
Here’s the full list of Frommer’s Top 10 Destinations for 2012:
- Chongqing, China
- Fukuoka, Japan
- Beirut, Lebanon
- London, England
- Girona, Spain
- Bay of Fundy, Nova Scotia/New Brunswick, Canada
- Kansas City, Missouri, USA
Yucatan Peninsula, Mexico
And here's the full list of the award winners:
- Top Family Destination - Great Smoky Mountains National Park
- Top Cruise Destination - Tromso, Norway
- Top Beach Destination - Hanalei Beach, Kauai, Hawaii
- Top Adventure Destination - Moab, Utah
- Top Food & Drink Destination - Lima, Peru
- Top City Break Destination - Chicago, Illinois, USA
- Top Endangered Destination - Aysen Region, Chile
- Top Value Destination - Albanian Riviera
- Top Destination to Get Lost - Whitsunday Islands, Australia
Readers’ Choice - Turkey
If your favourite destination isn’t on the list, or if you think you know a little gem that’s going to be big for 2012, then let us know…
If you're interested in InterRailing around Albania and Europe then you should check out our InterRail section.