Cairo to Cape Town Overland
Join Oasis on an expedition through the heart of Africa, crossing deserts, rivers, mountains and savannahs from the Pyramids of Giza to the city of Cape Town.
Egypt - Sudan - Ethiopia - Kenya - Uganda - Tanzania - Malawi - Mozambique - Zimbabwe - Botswana - Namibia - South Africa
Travel is in the Oasis Overland expedition truck, custom built in the UK with comfortable coach seats and baggage lockers. You will be camping all the way - sometimes we bush camp with no facilities and other times in campsites ranging from very basic to well-equipped.
The trip is led by two crew, a driver and tour leader. Their experience and knowledge will enable you to get the most out of your trip and to have an unforgettable experience as you travel overland. As with any travel to remote parts of Africa you must sometimes expect a high degree of hardship: bouncing on poor, rocky, untarred roads - even crossing a desert where there is no road! And sometimes having to bush camp for the night with no prospect of even a cold shower to wash away the dust…
Please note that our itineraries are not set in stone and can be subject to change. Visit our website for a more detailed itinerary.
Days 1 to 6
• Cairo - Day tour to the Pyramids + Sphinx at Giza and the Egyptian Museum (accompanied by an Egyptologist guide)
• Red Sea Coast - relax on the beach for a couple of days or try your hand at various watersports such as snorkelling, windsurfing or scuba diving in the cool clear blue waters of the Red Sea.
• Luxor - take a day tour to the Valley of Kings & Workers, also visit Karnak & Luxor Temples
Days 7 to 13
• 2 day traditional felucca sailboat cruise to Edfu & Kom Ombo.
• Aswan - stroll along the corniche, visit the temple at Philae or Elephantine Island.
• Abu Simbel - visit the great stone monuments of Ramses II.
• Ferry across Lake Nasser to Wadi Halfa
Days 14 to 19
• Follow piste tracks through the Nubian Desert.
• Pyramids at Meroe
• Khartoum, the capital.
• Visit Hamed al Nil Tomb - experience the largest market in Sudan: Omdurman Souq, as well as visit the daily camel market or take a boat trip on the Nile.
Days 20 to 42
• Gondar - take a trip to the holy city of Axum.
• Bahir Dar - organise a trip to the 12th century rock-hewn churches of Lalibela, or a boat out onto Lake Tana with monasteries dating back 900 years.
• Blue Nile Gorge
• Addis Ababa, the capital.
• Omo Valley
Days 43 to 61
• East Africa Rift Valley
Kenya - arduous northern Kenyan roads.
• Kampala - Uganda's capital, take a city tour or visit a Chimpanzee Sanctuary on Lake Victoria.
• Mountain Gorilla trek - in Rwanda. Trek to see these amazing creatures, the closest species related to man.
- Trips that trek in Rwanda may also visit the Genocide Memorial in Kigali.
• Jinja - the source of the Nile, whitewater rafting, quad biking or visit a local education project.
• Lake Nakuru National Park - games drives to spot lion, leopard, buffalo, rhino & flamingo.
• Visit either Crater Lake Game Sanctuary or Hells Gate National Park (walk through or hire mountain bikes - the only park in Kenya where this is permitted).
• Elsamere - visit the home of Joy Adamson & Elsa the lion, of Born Free fame.
Days 62 to 63
• Free time in Nairobi, visit Langata Giraffe Centre, Nairobi National park, or an Elephant orphanage.
Days 64 to 76
• Ngorongoro Crater & Manyara National Park - jeep wildlife safari.
• Serengeti National Park - continue on after Ngorongoro to see cheetah, leopard, lion, wildebeest, giraffe, elephant, hippos & zebra.
• Maasai Village Tour - back at camp in Arusha.
• Marangu - Foothills of Mount Kilimanjaro - you have the opportunity to hike up to Base camp, or walk through the pleasant surroundings visiting waterfalls and rivers in the area.
• Dar Es Salaam - bbq on the Indian Ocean coast.
• Zanzibar Island - Stone Town & spice tour, swim with dolphins, snorkel, scuba dive & serious beach time!
• Mikumi National Park - spot giraffe, zebra, elephant, buffalo from the roadside.
Days 77 to 93
Malawi - described as the warm heart of Africa.
• Lake Malawi - windsurf, scuba dive along with other water sports, horse riding, school visits, village meals & craft markets.
• Lilongwe (the capital).
Mozambique - travel the Tete corridor.
• Eastern Highlands - Chimanimani National Park or Vumba Gardens - hike through this vast mountain wilderness area bordering Mozambique or visit bridal veil falls, enjoy the surrounding scenery from this sleepy village.
• Antelope Park - a privately run game ranch - game viewing on horseback & walk with lion cubs!
• Great Zimbabwe Ruins
• Bulawayo, Matobo National Park - game walks to spot Black Rhino & many other game.
• Cecil Rhodes' grave & Ancient Rock Paintings
• Victoria Falls - view these spectacular falls from Zimbabwe or Zambia, and try your hand at grade 5 whitewater rafting, and kayaking trips. Something for all - Flight of Angels (microlite or helicopter), sunset cruises, gorge swing, abseil, bungy jump, jet boating and more! - Adrenaline Heaven.
Days 94 to 107
• Chobe National Park - river game cruise.
• Okavango Delta - 2 night mokoro canoe trip on the delta to spot elephant, crocodile, hippo, buffalo, zebra plus more.
• Etosha National Park - game drive by day & relax at floodlit water holes by night to spot rhino, elephant, giraffe, lion, leopard amongst a horde of other wildlife.
• Cheetah park - an up close & personal experience with these amazing cats.
• Brandberg Mountains in Demaraland.
Days 108 to 119
• Cape Cross Seal colony
• Spitzkoppe rock formations.
• Swakopmund - deep sea fishing, quad biking, dune sledding, tandem sky diving, horse riding, desert flights and more!
• Namib-Naukluft Park & Sossusvlei - the world's highest sand dunes.
• Fish River Canyon - Africa's Grand Canyon.
• Cape Agulhas - Africa's most southerly point.
• Cape Town - take a trip out to Robben Island, dive with sharks or take a cable car up or abseil down Table Mountain, experience the great night life plus much much more!!
Our Users Say
Just a wee note of thanks to the Oasis team for providing my son with the experience of a lifetime. Your support to us that remained at home was greatly appreciated. We have been very impressed with the organisation and planning that has gone into this trip, so much so that when I met my lad in Cape Town, I was sorely tempted to hop on the truck for his return journey! Thanks again
A very satisfied customer - Simon
Interested in this; ready to enquire?
Find out more by filling out the form below and clicking send. Oasis Overland should then be in touch shortly to help with your enquiry.