Teaching & Community Aid, Zanzibar
Zanzibar Island is part of a beautiful tropical archipelago of islands and its capital, Stone Town, is a fascinating place, with an intriguing blend of Indian, Arab, and African influences. From this project you are also within easy access to Tanzania's mainland and spectacular African safari opportunities.
There are few greater gifts than investing in someone’s future through education. Live the tropical island dream while teaching English, caring for children and sharing your skills. You may arrive as a stranger to Jambiani, but you will most definitely leave as a friend.
There is a great need for quality education all over Africa, and Zanzibar is no different. Due to poverty, daily home duties and a lack of qualified teachers, students are often unable to achieve the most basic educational requirements for higher level education and career development. African Impact’s volunteer teaching project in the village of Jambiani supports the local nursery schools in providing free, structured, interactive and creative English and Maths classes as well as free English classes to adults which highly increases their employment prospects.
Currently English classes are attended by over 100 youth and adult students each day, at a variety of locations within Jambiani and at Jozani Forest. Free education is rare in Tanzania and Zanzibar, so much so that students travel from as far away as northern Tanzania to join the classes.
As a teaching volunteer in Jambiani you will also be involved in women’s and kid’s activity groups as well as working with local boys and girls sports training sessions. The participation from volunteers abroad has contributed to the remarkable growth of this project. Volunteer projects have also included providing water pipelines to two Primary Schools - allowing children to have clean running drinking water for the first time, raising money to feed the children porridge every morning, teaching Primary School teachers English and organizing swimming lessons for local children.
- Gain teaching experience in various nursery schools and a tourism training institute
- Teach English to not only children and scholars, but also teachers and other community leaders
- Assist in improving educational facilities in the community
- Enjoy some cycling to and from your volunteer projects
- Developmental games with pre-primary school children & sport-afternoons on the beach
- Playing a role in keeping the beach and village environment clean
- Get a glimpse of life on the island, and have the opportunity to make a tangible difference in a community
- Get a taste of the Zanzibar culture; learn a bit of Kiswahili!
- A great platform to not only explore other areas of the archipelago and try your hand at some water sports, but also to experience some of the finest safari destinations on the continent.
Interested in this; ready to enquire?
Find out more by filling out the form below and clicking send. African Impact should then be in touch shortly to help with your enquiry.