Nile Trans Nairobi to Cairo Overland
This trip is part of our 17 week Cape Town to Cairo Nile Trans expedition.
Please note that our itineraries are not set in stone and can be subject to change.
Days 1 to 21
• Elsamere - visit the home of Joy Adamson & Elsa the lion, of Born Free fame.
• Visit either Crater Lake Game Sanctuary or Hells Gate National Park (walk through or hire mountain bikes - the only park in Kenya where this is permitted).
• Lake Nakuru National Park - games drives to spot lion, leopard, buffalo, rhino & flamingo.
• Jinja & Bujagali Falls - the source of the Nile, whitewater rafting, quad biking or visit a local education project.
• Mountain Gorilla trek - in Rwanda or Uganda. Trek to see these amazing creatures, the closest species related to man.
- Trips that trek in Rwanda include a visit to the Genocide Memorial.
- Trips that trek in Uganda include a visit to Lake Bunyoni and activities.
• Kampala - Uganda's capital, take a city tour or visit a Chimpanzee Sanctuary on Lake Victoria.
Kenya - arduous northern Kenyan roads.
• East Africa Rift Valley
Days 22 to 41
• Addis Ababa, the capital.
• Omo Valley and the Blue Nile Gorge
• Bahir Dar - organise a trip to the 12th century rock-hewn churches of Lalibela, or a boat out onto Lake Tana with monasteries dating back 900 years.
• Gondar - organise a trip to the holy city of Axum.
Days 42 to 48
• Khartoum, the capital.
• Visit Hamed al Nil Tomb - experience the largest market in Sudan: Omdurman Souq, as well as visit the daily camel market or take a boat trip on the Nile.
• Pyramids at Meroe.
• Follow piste tracks through the Nubian Desert.
Days 49 to 55
• Continue through the desert to Wadi Halfa and the border with Egypt. Cross Lake Nasser
• Aswan - stroll along the corniche, visit the temple at Philae or Elephantine Island.
• Abu Simbel - visit the great stone monuments of Ramses II.
• 2 day traditional felucca sailboat cruise trip to Edfu & Kom Ombo.
Days 56 to 61
• Luxor - take a day tour to the Valley of Kings & Workers, also visit Karnak & Luxor Temples.
• Red Sea Coast - relax on the beach for a couple of days or try your hand at various watersports such as snorkelling, windsurfing or scuba diving in the cool clear blue waters of the Red Sea.
• Cairo - Day tour to the Pyramids + Sphinx at Giza and the Egyptian History Museum (accompanied by an Egyptologist guide).
Interested in this; ready to enquire?
Find out more by filling out the form below and clicking send. Oasis Overland should then be in touch shortly to help with your enquiry.