Marine Conservation & Diving
Harmful fishing practices and overfishing have left the oceans with damaged reefs and threatened marine species. Covering more than 70 percent of the earth’s surface and as one of the most biodiverse parts of the planet, the ocean is essential to keeping the world’s ecosystem healthy. Not only is it a source of vast biodiversity, it provides much of the food and income for many communities globally.
By mapping habitats and educating local communities, Frontier’s projects and the volunteers that help undertake the research aim to protect marine ecosystems and to implement sustainable coastal management. Volunteers carry out vital research into the health of the reefs and species populations that then inform environmental policy, with the eventual aim of restoring and protecting marine biodiversity.
We offer a huge range of marine conservation placements for those looking to further their career in the field or those who simply want to experience unique and exclusive marine habitats while learning about marine conservation work and helping collect survey data. Volunteers can earn qualifications including the BTEC in Tropical Habitat Conservation or even carry our research work for their masters degree or PHd. Here are a few of the marine conservation projects we offer:
• Help gather baseline conservation data in a largely unexplored marine habitat in Fiji
• Learn to dive, or improve your diving skills, while carrying out conservation survey work while living in a fun and vibrant beach camp in Madagascar
• Dive and collect vitakl conservation data in an exclusive protected marine research park in Tanzania
• Work on a turtle conservarion project in Sri Lanka, Greece, Thailand or Guatemala
• Join a marine conservation project in the picturesque Maldives
For more info on our marine conservation and diving placements, visit our website, click on “Apply Now” and fill in the short application form. An advisor will then call you back to discuss your plans and help find the perfect adventure.
Interested in this; ready to enquire?
Apply now by clicking the button below and filling out the application form on gapyear.com. Frontier should then be in touch shortly to help with your enquiry.