Language Assistant - Spanish Schools
Do you want to live a once in a lifetime opportunity?
Becoming a Language Assistant in a Spanish school with Meddeas is a unique experience that will stay with you forever. During one academic year (September 2017-June 2018), you will enroll a structured program and cooperate with 20 teaching hours a week in one of the 200 educational centres we work with. Gain international experience and add transferable skills to your CV. Don’t miss the opportunity to discover a new culture and language, paying no fees and with a guaranteed monthly income, which is more than enough to live in Spain as a student. You will also receive free TEFL-related training, given by a Spanish university.
Starting dates available:
- Immediately until June 2017 (EU citizens or residence permit)
- September 2017 until June 2018
Desirable candidate profile:
- Native-level English speaker.
- Recent graduates (last four years) OR university students OR gap years. Any degree!
- Competence in the Spanish language is not required.
- No previous teaching experience needed.
- Someone who enjoys working with children and / or young people.
- Energetic and imaginative.
- With no criminal records.
So what does Meddeas offer you?
No matter what your background is, there is a Meddeas’ program for you that will include a University certified course.
- Qualifications: degree in English OR any degree + TEFL course OR degree/master in Education
- Conversation practice with up to 28 pupils
- Monthly grant is 912 Euros per month OR 462 Euros per month + full board accommodation with a host family
- Qualifications: any degree
- Conversation practice with up to 14 pupils
- Monthly grant is 862 Euros per month OR 412 Euros per month + full board accommodation with a host family
- Minimum qualifications: any degree OR university students OR gap years.
- Conversation practice with small groups OR assisting the main teacher
- Monthly grant is 312 Euros per month + full board accommodation with a host family
Selected candidates will:
- Join a Spanish school to cooperate as language assistants with 20 teaching hours per week, with the same holidays as the school.
- Receive a free certified course given by a Spanish university. Depending on the program it could be a 20 ECTS Expert in Bilingual Education course or a 6 ECTS TEFL or AMET course (included in the program).
- Have health insurance covered by the program (EU citizens).
- Receive a monthly allowance, more than enough for living in Spain as a student.
- Have support from the school’s designated Tutor and from Meddeas, helping the language assistant in his/her task.
- Teach children aged two to eighteen, learners' English levels range from beginner to advance.
More than 200 schools around Spain participate every year in our programmes. Meddeas has delegates in the main areas (Madrid and North Spain) and its management knows each and every school participating in the programme personally.
There are two lodging options: full board accommodation with a host family or independently housing, depending on your own interests. Families in these programmes are linked to the school and chosen by its principal. In fact, they host the Language Assistant on a volunteer basis to experience a cultural and linguistic immersion.
The main idea of this cultural exchange is that, while out of the school, Language Assistants will spend half of their time interacting in English with the family and the other half interacting in Spanish, travelling or enjoying their spare time as they want. Partly because of the obligations with the family, the assistants living with a host family will be teaching at the school 4 days a week. During the programme, the family will cover meals and accommodation expenses.
What does a language assistant do?
- Deliver conversational English lessons during the requested weekly hours.
- Encourage oral practice in English.
- Explain the culture of your own country.
- Help in other subjects apart from English such as science, art, sport.
- Act as a role model for correct pronunciation and grammar.
- Collaborate with teaching staff in creating teaching materials and planning lessons.
Interested in this; ready to enquire?
Find out more by filling out the form below and clicking send. Meddeas should then be in touch shortly to help with your enquiry.