Dharamsala Volunteer Projects India
Volunteer in India and work on a range of community service projects in Dharamsala & the surrounding region, including: Teaching Projects, IT Teaching, Childcare Projects, Summer camps, Renovation of local institutions, Community Health and Women's Empowerment Programmes.
You can join for 2 weeks up to 12 weeks all year round and we have places all throughout 2015 and 2016 available. Individuals, groups and students all welcome.
In addition to volunteering, you will also have plenty of time to explore the local area, with many sights to visit, and free or low cost activities to take part in, for example; Indian cooking lessons, Henna painting, Hindi language lessons, country walks, visiting tea gardens, temples, and more.
There are also several other organised activities and travel tours which volunteers can join at an extra cost, including; a 2 day tour of the Taj Mahal, a 2 day guided Himalayan Trekking Tour, a 2 day Adventure Tour in Manali, and a 2 day tour of Punjab state, visiting The Golden Temple in Amritsar, the Wagah border ceremony and the Jallianwala Bagh gardens.
About the Volunteer Projects in Dharamsala
Volunteers work for around four to six hours per day, five days per week, Monday to Friday. Each day is broken into two or three blocks of two hours – usually working on two or three different projects depending on the project(s) you have selected in your application, your own skills and interests, as well as the needs of the community & the projects which are currently running at the time. This structure allows volunteers to contribute their specific skills to the programme, enjoying the diversity of working on multiple projects and getting to know a number of individuals and Indian families within the community, whilst ensuring our programmes can effectively meet the needs of the community, which are continually changing. Please note however that this structure means not all of the projects below are guaranteed to be available to participate in, but rest assured you will still be making a valuable contribution to the local community.
For more information please visit our website
Interested in this; ready to enquire?
Find out more by filling out the form below and clicking send. iSpiice should then be in touch
shortly to help with your enquiry.
More information about this gap year opportunity...
2 weeks £260 Program fee + £130 application fee.
3 weeks £360 Program fee + £130 application fee.
4 weeks £460 Program fee + £130 application fee.
Every extra week only £100
WHAT’S INCLUDED IN THE COST?
– Pre-departure preparation handbooks about your volunteer placement and an overview on Indian culture.
– Pick up at Delhi airport by an iSpiice staff member at the time of arrival in India.
– One night stay at a hotel in Delhi, on arrival.
– Transfer by bus or train from Delhi to Dharamsala, with an iSpiice staff member.
– Program briefing and Hindi lessons on arrival at the iSpiice house.
– Daily breakfast, lunch and dinner prepared freshly and hygienically by iSpiice’s talented Indian chef. Filtered purified water is also supplied at the volunteer house.
– Accommodation at the iSpiice volunteer house, with separate male and female bedrooms and bathrooms (with hot water and western toilets).
– Daily private car transfers (to and from work placements) by iSpiice’s drivers.
– Morning or Evening yoga classes (in English) by a local yoga instructor, 2 times for two weeks.
– Visit to the local tourist sights – India’s oldest fort, Masroor Stone Temple, Norbulinga Buddhist Monastery and Kangra Tea Gardens.
– Use of iSpiice computer and internet for work preparation and leisure.
– Material required for volunteer work such as teacher’s workbooks, pens, paper and children’s stories – you may wish to bring educational supplies from your home country.
– Assistance with booking a return trip to Delhi, if you are not doing the Taj Mahal tour which includes drop off in Delhi.
– Certificate of service as a reference for your future volunteer programs.
– Friendship from the wonderful iSpiice team, fellow volunteers and the local community.
– 24 hour support from the iSpiice team for all kinds of enquiries, questions and onward travel plans.
– And most importantly – a donation to the community for educational supplies, basic food supplies, school renovation supplies and help iSpiice sponsor local children to get an education.
WHAT’S NOT INCLUDED?
– Airfare, travel insurance and Indian visa.
– Spending money for bottled water, snack foods and dining out whilst on weekend excursions.
– Add On Tours such as Taj Mahal, Himalayan Trekking, Golden Temple and Manali Adventure Trip.
This placement would suit:
Anyone who would like to support the work of the organisation helping to improve the children’s prospects, who is open minded and adaptable.
Accommodation and Food:
Volunteers stay at a shared Volunteer House with the project staff. Accommodation is clean and comfortable with western style toilets, hot running water and access to the internet. We have separate male and female bedrooms and bathrooms – you will most likely be sharing with 2 or 3 other volunteers. 3 meals a day will be provided by a staff chef. From the volunteer house you can see views of the Himalayan peaks, enjoy outside space on the verandas, or take country walks through the Himalayan countryside. During free time volunteers can relax in the large recreational area of the house - listen to music, watch films, and make lesson plans together.