Trip price is split into two components: £2375 plus US$590 local payment (paid direct to your Tour Leader when you join the trip).
From the hustle and bustle of some of South East Asia’s most dynamic and modern cities to the isolation and tranquillity of its unspoilt beaches and rainforest, this local transport trip takes in many of Indochina’s iconic highlights, while also uncovering some unknown gems well off the backpacker trail.
Please note that our itineraries are not set in stone and can be subject to change.
Days 1 to 2
- Xi’an – Arrive and meet your fellow travellers
- Visit the Terracotta Warriors
Days 3 to 7
- Chengdu – visit the nearby Giant Panda Breeding Centre.
- Kunming – capital of Yunna Province
- Jinghong – city that sits aside the Mekong River
Days 8 to 21
- The ‘Land of a Million Elephants’
- Luang Namtha – jungle hikes, rafting
- Luang Prabagn – visit the Buddhist Temples, learn to cook Lao food, walking and outdoor options
- Vientiane -relaxed colonial capital city with a disinctly French feel
- Phu Hin Bun National Park – longtail boats up the Mekong River and riverside bush lodge
Days 22 to 32
- Hue – visit the Citadel in one of Vietnam’s cultural and religious centres, or take a day trip to the Demilitarised Zone (DMZ)
- Hoi An – unspolit beaches and cheap suits, beach lodge
- Ho Chi Minh City – Vietnam’s fast and frenetic capital, visit the floating markets on the Mekong Delta, check out the War Remnants Museum, dodge the motorbikes!
Days 33 to 41
- Phnom Penh – a bustling city on the up after the years of the Khmer Rouge. Visit the chilling Tuol Sleng Prison, or Killing Fields. Royal Palace
and Silver Pagoda
- Boat trip up the Tonle Sap to Siem Reap, gateway to Angkor Wat
Days 42 to 53
- The ‘Land of a Thousand Smiles’
- Bangkok – Thailand’s cosmopolitan and chaotic capital. Grand Palace and Reclining Buddha, Khlong (Canal) Tours, modern shopping malls, the infamous Khao San Road
- Kanchanburi – Home to the Bridge on the River Kwai
- Ko Samui and Ko Pha-Ngan – islands of tropical paradise with scuba diving and a free week (accommodation not included)
Days 54 to 73
Malaysia, Indonesia and Singapore
- Sumatra – relax on Lake Danay Toba and home of the Batak people
- Gunung Leuser National Park – Get up close to the majestic orang-utan at the Bukit Lawang Feeding Station, hike through the national park
- Medan – bustling capital of Sumatra
- Penang and Georgetown – colonial town with fantastic food
- Pula Perhenthian Besar – tropical paradise and Malaysia’s showpiece island, undeveloped and unspoilt beaces
- Kuala Lumpur – Malaysia’s modern and relatively relaxed capital, Petronas Towers, bargain on Jalan Petaling
- Malaka – unique multiculturual city with a rich history
- Singapore – our final stop, an ultra-modern and diverse city