Help out at a local children’s home in Peru and be a part of improving the lives of the physically and mentally disabled. You’ll be part of daily therapy sessions, helping the local staff with disabled care, and interacting with these special children. This programme will give you a new appreciation for life and caring for others!
Spend some of your time at this special Home for children (and some adults) who have physical and mental disabilities. This programme is perfect for you if you’re looking to work with children that require a higher level of care and assistance.
You’ll help take care of roughly 30 children, as well as assist the Centre staff with their daily tasks, thus lightening their huge workload and enabling them to give additional effort to the care of the children.
Activities you can look forward to being a part of include:
- therapy sessions,
- educational lessons,
- dancing lessons and
- outdoor activities.
- You might also find yourself helping to make classroom materials, painting, cutting firewood, and organising the facility.
Because the children attend school in the morning, the program will be based more in the afternoon, thus your interaction and assistance will mostly take place from around lunch-time until dinner-time.
The main goal of the organisation is to maximise what these children are able to do on their own, with the hope that one day they will be able to get jobs and live fulfilling lives!
PROGRAMME AIMS AND OBJECTIVES
- To increase the children’s levels of independence;
- Enable you to gain skills and experience and improve your ability to work with special needs children;
- To assist the local staff with additional hands-on work looking after the children.
The accommodation has beautiful view of the Andes Mountain Range and is close to the Amazon Rainforest, it will bring you back to South American nature!
You will be staying in our accommodation center in Banos del Inca, Rural Cajamarca countryside. The house is made with traditional materials such as adobe and stone, it also has large gardens and its own chicken coop off to the side.
The accommodation is about 1.3km from the main square of Baños del Inca and about 20-30 minutes away from the Cajamarca city center by bus.
Wi-Fi / Internet: WiFi will be available in your rooms, but keep in mind that it may not be stable at times. We recommend also using 3G data if staying connected is important to you.
There is also an internet cafe in the main township where you can access Wi-Fi from when you’re not at the centre.
FOOD: Food is provided and you’ll have three meals per day during the week – breakfast, lunch and dinner – and two meals on the weekends. The food will be typically Peruvian meaning lots of corn, beans, rice, chili peppers, potatoes, wheat, and other grain, all very vegetarian friendly. Keep in mind that some local dishes may be spicy!
FACILITIES: Since our centre is located in close proximity to the township of Baños del Inca, you will have access to a range of facilities including the local gym and swimming pool. There are many local coffee shops and restaurants in the main township within walking distance of our centre. Restaurants & Cafes, a Swimming pool, mini-mart, a fitness gym, supermarket, and shopping mall are all close by.
WHAT YOU’LL GAIN FROM DOING THIS PROJECT:
- An exciting opportunity to travel, see the world and experience this amazing South American culture first-hand!
- New skills, more confidence and invaluable personal and professional development.
- The enormous satisfaction of knowing that your work is helping disadvantaged chilldren.
- An opportunity to take a break from the traditional academic track or your current career path in order to gain life experience and global cultural awareness
- An entry on your CV or Résumé that will enhance your career opportunities and make you stand out from the crowd.
- Make friends, form relationships and build memories that will last a lifetime.
- Opportunities to enjoy some exciting adventure and cultural activities while on your programme.
- And best of all … an unforgettable experience!