There are different elements to this program: Coach a variety of Sports to disadvantaged children at a school as well as training and playing in any of the other sports and offering much needed help in the classroom, too.
Sports you can coach include:
This project provides you with a diverse experience in that your activities will take place in two locations and will also give you the opportunity to coach other sports as well:
- During the day you will assist with sports sessions at a school in one of Auckland’s suburbs. You’ll assist with a variety of sports, depending on the season, with children from communities including Maori, the South Pacific islands and children from many other countries. You’ll also be assisting in the classroom and with school activities.
- You’ll spend some of your afternoons and evenings coaching and/or training at a Sports Club in Auckland. You’ll work with a variety of ages at the club and during the weekend you may have an opportunity to compete yourself and test your abilities against the Kiwis! The clubs we work with have very lively social scene and you will be welcomed with open arms.
YOUR SPORTS PROJECT AT THE SCHOOL:
The School Sports element of your Programme will take place during the day. The school has children from a variety of backgrounds and countries such as Maori children and children from Sudan and Somalia who are refugees, as well as children from other lower economic countries such as Samoa and Tonga. The school has good facilities that will enable you to coach a variety of different sports.
There is a wide number of sports available to coach on this project and you will be involved in a wide range of sporting activities, giving you great diversity. The sports are generally coached by season, but if you wanted to coach a sport that was not in season, or if you wanted to introduce a new sport to the children, the school would welcome it as long as it was of benefit to the children. Each school offers different sports so if there was a particular sport that you were interested in coaching please let us know and we will make arrangements for this.
The sports vary with each term, as follows:
Term 1: Swimming, Tennis, Cricket, Athletics
Term 2: Rugby Union & League, Football, Hockey, Netball
Term 3: Rugby League, Football, Netball
Term 4: Athletics, Cricket, Cross Country & Football.
You’ll live in a centrally located hostel that is friendly and relaxing, making it ideal for long-term stays. You will be sharing a room with other volunteers. There is a communal kitchen and storage area for cooking meals and plenty of space to relax.
Wi-Fi / Internet: There is Wi-Fi / Internet access in the accommodation, with a small charge.
Entertainment at your accommodation includes cheap internet access, TV and free pool table. You are literally a stroll from the Sky Tower, harbor and waterfront. Accommodation is very central and close to the main train station and shopping district. Buses are also only a few minutes away to take you to parts of Auckland and New Zealand or to the many other ‘things to do’!
FOOD: Food is not provided on this project, but Auckland has restaurants to suit all tastes – the most popular cuisine is New Zealand lamb which can be ordered at many restaurants around the city and is well worth it. For meals in local restaurants, a trip to Auckland’s inner city centre is well worth the effort – it bustles with activity and offers a range of choices of restaurants.
WHAT YOU’LL GAIN FROM DOING THIS PROJECT
- An exciting opportunity to travel, see the world and experience a foreign culture first-hand.
- New skills, more confidence and invaluable personal and professional development.
- The enormous satisfaction of helping these disadvantaged children and knowing that you made a difference to them.
- An opportunity to take a break from the traditional academic track or your current career path in order to gain life experience and global cultural awareness
- An entry on your CV or Résumé that will enhance your career opportunities and make you stand out from the crowd.
- Make friends, form relationships and build memories that will last a lifetime.
- Opportunities to enjoy some exciting adventure and cultural activities while on your programme.
- And best of all … an unforgettable experience!
FREE COACHING MANUALS: As a volunteer sports coach with Travellers, you have access to a large number of coaching manuals for each sport – these manuals have been produced in-house by our Sports Manager. These manuals are very useful and will help you to plan coaching sessions for your students.
REQUIREMENTS: Anyone working with children and/or vulnerable adults is required to complete a Criminal Records Check (CRC) as part of their application process. We’ll provide you with the necessary papers and take you through the process.
WHAT TO DO NEXT
Talk to us – We’re there to help you. Most of our team are ex Travellers volunteers and are ideally qualified to offer advice and guidance because they know what you’re looking for. They’ll help you find your perfect project – and then make it all happen!