A great project to keep you active, fit, and creative. Bring all your creative elegance to renew and build beautiful structures for children and the local communities which suffered as a recent of the recent cyclone disaster. Your work here is very worthwhile and much appreciated!
You’ll take part in construction and renovation projects to help develop infrastructures for the local community and also for the school children. You’ll help to renovate or build parks, playgrounds, classrooms, kindergartens and more, so join us on this beautiful island and help to make a community happy!
Work on this project is changeable and will very much depend on what is needed at the time that you’re there. In addition to the basic project, you may also take part with landscaping the surrounding area, painting local schools, and renovating classrooms. Many of the schools we work with do not have the funding to renovate their classrooms or build libraries and resource centres, and this is where you can participate. In the past, we even built a library for village school.
In many areas of Fiji, thousands of families live in inadequate accommodation and children attend school in crumbling buildings. Our construction project allows them to move to new, better quality homes and for the children to receive an education in secure, new classrooms.
On average, you’ll work for about 6 hours a day on the project.
On Monday, you will start planning the project with the coordinator assigned to you, after having breakfast. Once you plan the project and receive the relevant information, you can have lunch and then leave to work at the community location. Once your work for the day is complete, you can then return to the center and attend a meeting where you can provide feedback regarding the first day at your placement.
Your day will begin a bit early. You will be taken to our project site and assigned with particular tasks for the day. A coordinator will be around you during the project. After lunch, you will work at the community location where you will continue to do construction and renovation activities.
The work plan will be confirmed again every Friday. The program can be changed depending on requirements and local conditions. Your weekends and evenings are free, leaving you time for relaxing, travelling and sightseeing.
ACCOMMODATION and FOOD
Your accommodation may vary depending on project, but it will be in a form of a pleasant and cosy volunteer centre, with other volunteers, all contributing to keeping the home neat and tidy. You’ll share a dorm-style room with it’s own bathroom. During the week you will be provided with three meals a day, and over weekends 2 meals a day. These will consist of traditional Fijian style dishes.
Wi-Fi / Internet: There is Wi-Fi on site, so you’ll be able to keep up with emails with friends and family back home.
WHAT YOU’LL GAIN FROM DOING THIS PROJECT
- An exciting opportunity to travel, see the world and experience this amazing culture first-hand!
- New language skills, more confidence and invaluable personal and professional development.
- The enormous satisfaction of helping disadvantaged communities and improving their day-to-day lives and activities. Knowing that you made a difference to them.
- An opportunity to take a break from the traditional academic track or your current career path in order to gain life experience and global cultural awareness
- An entry on your CV or Résumé that will enhance your career opportunities and make you stand out from the crowd.
- Make friends, form relationships and build memories that will last a lifetime.
- Opportunities to enjoy some exciting adventure and cultural activities while on your programme.
- And best of all … an unforgettable experience!