What will I be doing?
Volunteers support 55 children aged between 6 and 18 years old at a community centre in the mountain city of Huaraz. The centre provides a safe, family orientated environment where children can access much needed academic and welfare support.
On arrival you will have your induction where you will learn more about Huaraz and receive an introduction to your role at the project.
Each day will differ and volunteer tasks include:
- Helping with homework; Spanish, English, maths and other subjects
- One to one tuition with children who are struggling and need additional support
- Assisting with individual learning, setting targets and working with children to build confidence
- Taking informal lessons or leading activities
- Arranging creative activities; music, arts and crafts
- Leading active games and sports
- Helping on the nutrition awareness programme, healthy living and hygiene education
- Preparing and serving meals
- General maintenance / cleaning at the school
- Fundraising / awareness and engagement activities
Volunteers live in Huaraz, a small city nestled at the foot of the Cordillera Blanca mountain range. The city has many beautiful walks, it is not far from the serene wilderness but also has the benefit of a lively market.
Why are volunteers needed?
Volunteers work in partnership with local full-time staff to support lessons and educational games as well as to bring a new perspective and creativity to teaching and activities at the project. Volunteers expand the children’s horizons by acting as positive role models. The educational support they receive from volunteers boosts the children’s confidence at school and improves their chances of academic and social success.