Get your hands dirty and help the poorer communities in Cambodia with their construction projects. The main construction site is at a local school allocated to the poor (much of which has been built with the help of volunteers), but also can take place on other sites where development construction assistance is needed. Work could include painting, vegetable gardening, making furniture, constructing pathways, building new classrooms and general repairs.
Your programme will start with an introduction week where you’ll visit cultural sites in Siem Reap and learn about language and rich culture of Cambodia. It’s a great way to get to know the town and everything required to make your stay more comfortable.
You’ll volunteer on a community construction project that greatly improves the environment of poverty-stricken people. In particular, much of the local school has been built with the help of previous volunteers and local tradesmen and you’ll be able to continue to assist in the construction of a new pathway, toilets as well as building walls and renovation of the nearby area.
We’re also implementing some “educational art”, so if you also have some artistic talent, your skills would be gratefully received! The objective is to have several walls on which to display images and sketches of volunteers’ home countries.
Your programme will start with an introduction week where you’ll visit cultural sites in Siem Reap and learn about language and rich culture of Cambodia. After Siem Reap you will move on to the location of your programme where the introduction week continues. If your programme is 2 weeks or less, you can choose to do a few days or opt out of the introduction week and go straight to your project. Please let your Project Coordinator aware of this upon booking.
On your arrival, you’ll have a meeting with the Coordinator to discussing what will be required during your stay at the project. There is a focus on light construction work and you’ll be asked to help with some or all of the following activities:
- paint the school buildings,
- work in the vegetable garden, and the flower garden,
- make tables and chairs,
- build various elements in the playground,
- help to construct pathways,
- build toilets, repair the school wall, and help build the new classrooms.
Construction and renovation work is available where required. Tools and equipment, as well as instructions will be provided.
Weekends: Weekends are always free after each project. You can relax at your accommodation, take a bicycle into town, or expand your sightseeing and visit the many more sites in the Oddar Meanchey Province. You could also take a taxi into Siem Reap for the weekend and visit the amazing Angkor Wat Temple. Friendly staff are always there to make your choice easier with advice.
You will be housed at a basic yet comfortable volunteer house. Rooms are single-sex with locked doors, bunk-beds, mosquito nets and a fan– maximum 4 volunteers per room. There are limited laundry facilities so expect to wash your clothes by hand, but there are some places that you can do laundry in the town too. You will be encouraged to be environmentally aware and to use all resources with restraint, especially water, paper and electricity.
Wi-Fi / Internet: Wifi is available in the house but not necessarily in your rooms.
All food is included during your stay. The meals will be typical Cambodian fare, including plenty of rice dishes, meat and western food. There are three meals served during the week inside the accommodation and two during the weekend (Brunch and Dinner).
WHAT YOU’LL GAIN FROM DOING THIS PROJECT
- An exciting opportunity to travel, see the world and experience a foreign culture first-hand.
- New skills, more confidence and invaluable personal and professional development.
- The enormous satisfaction of helping a local disadvantaged community and knowing that you made a difference to them.
- An opportunity to take a break from the traditional academic track or your current career path in order to gain life experience and global cultural awareness
- An entry on your CV or Résumé that will enhance your career opportunities and make you stand out from the crowd.
- Make friends, form relationships and build memories that will last a lifetime.
- Opportunities to enjoy some exciting adventure and cultural activities while on your programme.
- And best of all … an unforgettable experience!