A tiny teardrop-shaped island on the Indian Ocean, situated just below the Indian subcontinent, is this beautiful country called Sri Lanka. It is one of those countries where Buddhism was spread in the earliest days. The diverse landscapes of the country range from rainforests and arid plains to highlands and sandy beaches, making it one of the most gorgeous Southeast Asian Nations.
In the last few years, tourism has flourished immensely in the country and there have certain developmental moves as well – but in spite of everything, several communities in Sri Lanka still don’t have proper access to the basic necessities of life. Not just humans, but the lives of elephants and turtles are also endangered and they also need proper care.
- Amazing & affordable programs in Sri Lanka are available throughout the year
- Programs are located at beautiful Galle & Kegalle
- Minimum age to join a program is 16 years and above
- Programs are available for a minimum of 1 week to maximum 24 weeks
- Perfectly customization options for students joining in groups
- Immense international work exposure and first-hand learning experience
- Volunteering opportunities to make a meaningful difference in the lives of the underprivileged ones
- Work with elephants and shower them with utmost love and care
- Work on the beaches and hatcheries to take care of sea turtles
- Learn more about Sinhalese culture, festivals, and cuisines
- Explore the UNESCO Heritage Sites and the beaches of Lanka
- Certificate of Completion after the program ends
Volunteering Solutions provides amazing and affordable volunteering programs in Sri Lanka for all those who are looking forward to exploring this island nation and contribute meaningfully towards the society. This is also a great opportunity to learn about the Sinhalese lifestyle and culture.
The following are the most popular programs in Sri Lanka that you can opt for:
Elephant & Community Project – As a part of this program, you’ll get to work in association with the mahouts (caretakers of elephants) and look after the gentle giants, take them for walks, bathe them and feed them etc. In your free time, you can teach the little ones at the community school and help them to learn the basics of English & Maths.
Sea Turtle Conservation Program – This is undoubtedly one of the most popular programs in Sri Lanka. The main focus of this project is to protect the turtle eggs as well as the baby turtles, and subsequently increase their population. Being a volunteer, you’ll support the hatcheries through conservation efforts which are valuable for their sustainability, and also goes a long way in helping them financially as we pay these hatcheries a placement fee for each volunteer we send to them, which allows them to generate additional income.
Buddhist Monks Teaching Program – Volunteer as a teacher for the little monks in Galle and learn more about Buddhism and their way to look at life. This a great volunteering abroad opportunity for those on their gap year to gain some intense international work experience.
Women Empowerment Project – Be a volunteer for this program that essentially focuses on the upliftment of women in the social strata, by providing them proper education as well as helping them to find a career in which they can earn for their basic livelihood and have a shaped future for themselves.
Apart from these, there are several other programs which you can opt for, as per your interests and preferred duration.