Our mission: Make Guinjata Bay and the surrounding area a Marine Protected Area
In order to achieve our mission as a non-profit we need to take volunteers as part of our team. We have developed a cutting edge volunteer program that gives individuals the chance to work along-side our marine biologists and the local community, helping with conservation, through research, education and diving over a 2 – 4 week period (you can stay longer but please enquire about this).
We are currently offering positions for a select number of participants on the following program dates:
July 8th – July 29th (finishing August 3rd inc. safari)
July 29th – August 19th (finishing August 24th inc. safari)
April 7th – April 21st (finishing April 26th inc. safari) 2-3 WEEKS
July 7th – Just 28th (finishing August 2nd inc. safari) 3-4 WEEKS
July 28th – August 18th (finishing August 23rd inc. safari) 3-4 WEEKS
As a Love The Oceans volunteer you form an essential part of our team. We’ll train you up in all the areas you need while you’re with us in country so there are no prerequisites to this program! Depending on the time of year, you will complete the following activities while you’re with us (please enquire as to the exact itinerary):
- PADI scuba diving training (get qualified!)
- Night-time turtle patrols
- Free diving training
- Ocean safari and whale surveys
- Fisheries data collection
- Coral reef surveys
- Helping improve the local school facilities
- Teaching swimming lessons to local children and adults
- Learning to source and cook local food
- Learning basic Portuguese and Bitonga (an original African tribal dialect)
- Local cooking lessons (learn how to survive like Bear Grylls!)
- Optional 5 nights on safari in South Africa
This is a once in a lifetime opportunity that will not only give you hands on practical experience that you will not get elsewhere, but also a leg up in the world of conservation careers!
Places fill up fast so we recommend applying as soon as possible!
Why volunteer with us rather than other organisations?
- Cheaper – all of the above is included and more!
- Smaller – a unique experience where you are valued as an individual and get to work alongside the founder
- Only in one place – stronger and better links to our community
- Specific focus and commitment to conservation and community welfare
- Recognised as a valuable educational learning experience – offered at universities around the UK as part of the marine biology degree.
- Comply with BSI standards
- We’re an ethical volunteering organisation, something we feel PASSIONATELY about – read more on this on our website
- We’re a World Cetacean Alliance Partner so you know your work is truly doing good