- Contribute to the development of a township in Cape Town who we have worked with for over eight years, Red Hill.
- Spend one night a week living with a local family, fully supported by the African Impact staff team.
- Be immersed daily in the local community and contribute to skills development initiatives, including job-readiness workshops, support groups, fitness classes and more.
- Impact the lives of disadvantaged children by providing a helping hand at community preschools.
- Help our team run educational and fun after-school programs at a foster care home and community facility for children living in poverty.
- Be challenged while gaining new perspective and insight into what life is like for many people in South Africa.
- During your free time, explore one of the most beautiful cities in the world while remaining grounded and mindful of the very experiences not enjoyed by all.
FAMILY HOME STAY
One night each week, volunteers stay overnight in Red Hill with one of the families you have worked with in the community. This experience has a hugely positive effect on the relationship volunteers build with the local community and provides an unrivalled cultural exchange for both the family and the volunteer. You will share your meals with the family, assist their children with homework and get involved in the daily tasks of running a household. This incredibly special experience will bring new perspective into your life, and offer a helping hand to a family struggling with poverty.
Throughout the week, you will get involved in our outreach work that supports vulnerable groups within Red Hill, including pregnant women, the elderly and the unemployed. Come prepared to work with these community members during workshops that empower them with various skills. This will include support groups for young pregnant women struggling with isolation and poor health, as well as income generation and employability classes for adults.
Working with children between the ages of 6 months and 7 years, volunteers spend each morning supporting local teachers at 2 pre-schools run from renovated shipping containers within Red Hill. These pre-schools offer children an invaluable head start to their education and future, meaning they are capable of entering primary school at a basic level that they would otherwise not achieve.
Volunteers assist teachers with lesson planning and implementation through a school-readiness approach, providing one-on-one attention to students who are falling behind in their progress.
FOSTER CARE SUPPORT
Throughout the week, volunteers visit other townships surrounding Red Hill, including Ocean View. Here, we partner with a community-based foster care home for vulnerable, neglected and abused children. In this disadvantaged community, volunteers help ensure children receive additional attention they need and deserve while visiting them in their foster care homes. Volunteers add value by planning and implementing creative expression, educational and enriching activities for children between the ages of 2 and 16.