Live in the beautiful Island town of Suva in Fiji and teach children of various age groups. You’ll make a very significant and worthwhile contribution.
You’ll teach different age groups in different levels. You’ll have the freedom to be creative and design your own lesson plans in a relaxed environment matching the Fijian way of doing things. With or without teaching experience, you’ll have a positive influence on the children and you’ll be made very welcome in these “home to happiness” islands.
The children in Fiji are in desperate need of experienced teachers and enthusiastic non-qualified volunteers. Fiji has over 700 primary schools and 150 secondary schools spread across both the public and private sectors. It is a country in much need of external help, especially with its youngsters. In many villages, there will be a small school with teachers doing their best to serve the students spread across a variety of educational levels.
You’ll experience life in both rural and urban areas, which is quite different from the average journey followed by a tourist. Most locals on Fiji can’t afford to travel, and in the villages there is little chance of contact with the outside world. Your teaching enable students to form relationships with someone from another culture, and the teachers can learn different teaching methods and techniques. Mainly, you will assist the regular school teacher, so you do not need to have any teaching background.
Volunteers with teaching experience will have the freedom to be creative and design their own lesson plans, a refreshing change for some of our more mature participants, who tell us it takes them back to the “good old days.” Those with less or no experience will get support and guidance from our Teaching Centre, a relaxed environment matching the Fijian way of doing things, but with up-to date teaching methods from experienced teachers.
Sample Schedule of Monday to Friday Program Activities:
- Planning lessons
- Doing and teaching crafts
- Computer class
- Teaching through Conversation
- English language teaching
- Level exams
- Dynamic activities
ACCOMMODATION AND FOOD:
You’ll live in the volunteer house on Suva and you’ll share a bedroom with around 4 other volunteers. At the Centre you will be provided with three meals a day – breakfast, lunch and dinner during the week, and breakfast and dinner at weekends. Breakfast is Western style and lunch and dinner are typical Fijian style.
Wi-Fi / Internet: Wifi is available in the public areas.
WHAT YOU’LL GAIN FROM DOING THIS PROJECT
- An exciting opportunity to travel, see the world and experience this amazing culture first-hand!
- New skills, more confidence and invaluable personal and professional development.
- The enormous satisfaction of knowing that your work is benefitting the disadvantaged children of the islands
- An opportunity to take a break from the traditional academic track or your current career path in order to gain life experience and global cultural awareness
- An entry on your CV or Résumé that will enhance your career opportunities and make you stand out from the crowd.
- Make friends, form relationships and build memories that will last a lifetime.
- Opportunities to enjoy some exciting adventure and cultural activities while on your programme.
- And best of all … an unforgettable experience!