Gain experience working with all types of animals in one of the largest vet clinics and pet shops. You’ll assist the vets during consultations, help care for the boarding animals and those for sale, and assist with grooming and other areas connected with running Clinic and Pet Shop. Our Veterinary Placement is located in the heart of Buenos Aires, South America, and is perfect for a passionate animal lover looking to to gain experience working with all types of animals. An intermediate Spanish level is required to work in the clinic (needed for vet consultations and surgeries).
The Centre (CP) has 15 people working between the Pet Shop and the Clinic, including two vets. Working hours are from Monday to Saturday from 8 a.m. to 8.30 p.m. An intermediate Spanish level is required to work in the clinic (vet consultations and surgeries).
There are three different areas in the clinic:
- Helping take care of the boarding pets as well as those for sale and under medical care (e.g. cleaning the cages, feeding the animals, checking their health, administering their medicine, etc.)
- Helping with the pets’ grooming
- Providing assistance to the local vet during consultations and surgeries.
These activities will give you the unique opportunity to work hands-on and to observe the reality of day-to-day care of pets while you improve your level of Spanish mingling with local employees and dealing with clients.
The Centre also offers a wide variety of animals for sale, ranging from cats and dogs to all types of birds (canaries, cockatiels, lovebirds, parrots of all sizes, parakeets, etc.), reptiles (iguanas, anoles, geckos, ball python, varanus, turtles, etc.), cold and tropical water fishes, titi monkeys and small animals (chinchillas, guinea pigs, hamsters, gerbils, mice, rabbits, rats, etc.).
Additionally, the Centre organizes special talks and short courses for anyone interested in learning about the pets’ world and the basics on veterinary nursing. You will be welcome to both attend these talks as well as, under certain circumstances, to give them.
Requirements: The owner of the Centre says that any participants who has a passion for animals and a willingness to help will be welcome! Vet doctors or vet students are most welcome and will be able to help with the clinic (if they have a high level of Spanish). Applicants should be able to meet the following criteria
- Have a strong passion for animals (you don’t need to have a degree or any experience).
- Be over 17 years of age
- Be able to speak some Spanish (intermediate level) to work in the clinic. Your involvement and learning possibilities will depend on your level of Spanish and willingness to participate. The higher your level of Spanish, the more you’ll be able to make the most of the placement and the more you’ll be able to be involved.
- Be able to stay for a minimum of 4 weeks in order to really get familiar with the Centre and its work.
- Be able to work on your own initiative – this is crucial to your success on the placement.
You’ll live a hostel situated in a beautifully renovated historic building in Downtown Buenos Aires, very conveniently located for exploring the city and doing shopping. It’s big enough to be sociable and fun, yet small enough to feel at home; a real chance to immerse yourself in Argentine culture. You’ll share a dorm room and have access to kitchen facilities.
The hostel has a common area where you can relax and watch TV or DVD’s and there is also a piano and a ping pong table! It also has Wi-Fi and a couple of computers and a small roof terrace with chairs to enjoy the sunshine.
FOOD: You’ll be given an allowance for your meals (breakfast and dinner, lunch is excluded for projects in Buenos Aires). This arrangement is to give you the flexibility to sample the great Argentinean food. Right on the door step of the hostel there are many cafes and restaurants with great priced menus just waiting for you….the choice is yours!
WHAT YOU’LL GAIN FROM DOING THIS PROJECT
- An exciting opportunity to travel, see the world and experience a foreign culture first-hand.
- New skills, more confidence and invaluable personal and professional development.
- An opportunity to take a break from the traditional academic track or current career path in order to gain life experience and global cultural awareness
- An entry on your CV or Résumé that will enhance your career opportunities and make you stand out from the crowd.
- Make friends, form relationships and build memories that will last a lifetime.
- Opportunities to enjoy some exciting adventure and cultural activities while on your programme.
- And best of all … an unforgettable experience!
WHAT TO DO NEXT:
Talk to us – We’re there to help you. Most of our team are ex Travellers volunteers and are ideally qualified to offer advice and guidance because they know what you’re looking for. They’ll help you find your perfect project – and then make it all happen! It’s as easy as that.