Where and when you’ll volunteer
Are you looking for meaningful Medical volunteer work? Join International Volunteer HQ, the world’s leading volunteer travel organisation, and support the Medical project in Peru – Cusco.
- Located in Peru’s cultural hub of Cusco. Medical placements are located in Cusco and the surrounding areas.
- Runs year-round
- Starts every Monday
What you can expect
Clinics and hospitals for low-income families in Cusco tend to be under-funded and under-staffed. As a result, you play an important role in assisting local nurses and doctors, dentists and specialists while also learning about the healthcare system in Cusco. It is important that Medical volunteers have realistic expectations with regard to the activities that they will get involved in. Pre-medical students, first year or second year medical and nursing students can participate in the following areas within the clinic and hospital placements: taking weight, height, blood pressure, heart rate and temperature, making beds, cleaning, talking with patients, preparing materials, administering vaccinations and sterilizing equipment. Third and fourth year medical and nursing students, as well as fully qualified medical professionals, can also participate in the following areas: cleaning wounds, giving injections and sutures, consult rooms and specialized departments, assisting doctors taking physicals and histories, giving vaccinations, taking records, drawing blood samples, and basic assistance with physiotherapy. Please note, you need to be training or qualified in a relevant medical field. The level of placement will also be dependent on your level of Spanish, as a basic level is recommended, but a higher level preferred.
Why you should volunteer with us:
- Trusted by over 80,000 volunteers since 2007 – we are the world’s largest network of volunteer travelers
- Our outstanding safety systems and track record set us apart – we are the world’s safest organisation
- Program fees start from as low as $180 with a rating of 95/100 on independent review sites
- 40+ destinations, 200+ projects available year-round
- We have over 10 years experience and place over 18,000 volunteers abroad every year – that’s more than any other organisation